Marathon Coalition: IT IS TIME.
The Coalition is back and we are on a mission. We shall take no prisoners. We will show no mercy.
Together! We will SEIZE the streets of Newton, shouting rallying cries of GLORY!
Together! We will DESTROY Heartbreak Hill; it will break hearts no more.
We’ll run through rain, through snow, through ice, sleet and dog poop. We’ll hurdle snow banks and trash cans…and small children.
Take shelter! For we will rob you of your dignity and your chocolate milk.
Sidewalks? For sissies!
Stop lights? We know not what they do.
Hide your children, else they fall into the paths of our Mizunos.
Hide your Gatorade, else it comes within reach of our electrolyte-deficient bodies.
We may eat oatmeal for breakfast, but we will eat you for lunch…
…Ok, kidding. : )
We are the Marathon Coalition! 133 runners on a mission to serve disadvantaged youth in New England. We will train hard and fundraise even harder so that kids who have no hope for the future will soon have no doubt about the infinite span of their potential.
This year, TEN youth-serving organizations are what make up our training family, coached again by the ever inspiring Rick Muhr. I’m happy to introduce you all to these wonderful non-profit warriors : )
- Access– They work to ensure that all young people have the financial information and resources necessary to find an affordable path to – and through – a postsecondary education.
- Boston Debate League– The BDL aims to measurably improve students’ academic achievement and their expectations of themselves by engaging as many BPS high school and middle school students as possible through academic debate.
- Boston Partners in Education– Their mission is to enhance the academic achievement and nurture the personal growth of Boston’s public school students by providing them with focused, individualized, in-school volunteer support.
- Bottom Line– They are dedicated to helping disadvantaged students get in to college, graduate from college, and go far in life. They achieve this by providing low-income and first-generation students with one-on-one guidance through the application process and during college.
- Boys & Girls Club of Dorchester– Their mission is to inspire and enable all young people, from diverse circumstances, to realize their full potential by providing opportunities for personal growth to become contributing, caring, and responsible members of the community.
- Boys & Girls Club of Newton– Recognizing that all youth are at risk, the club inspires and enables young people to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
- Jumpstart– They work on the language and literacy skills children need to succeed not only in school, but also in life.
- Mass Mentoring Partnership– They are dedicated to expanding quality youth mentoring in Massachusetts. They provide services including training and technical assistance, networking and professional development, mentor recruitment campaigns, advocacy, resource development & recognition, and mentor-mentee match activities.
- Museum of Science– The runners of MofS specifically raise funds for the traveling programs offered by the museum. Their professional educators travel throughout New England, bringing science and technology programs to children.
- Summer Search– Their mission is to find resilient low-income high school students and inspire them to become responsible and altruistic leaders by providing year-round mentoring, life-changing summer experiences, college advising, and a lasting support network
So let’s hear it for ’em! Champions of Mentoring. Warriors of Education. We may not rob you of chocolate milk… but seriously… hide your kids… : )
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!